Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Where Does America Stand With God?

1 "When Israel [America] was a child, I loved him [her], and out of Egypt I called my son.
2 But the more I called Israel [America], the further they went from me. They sacrificed to the Baals and they burned incense to images.
3 It was I who taught Ephraim [America] to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them.
4 I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them.
5 "Will they not return to Egypt and will not Assyria [our enemy the devil] rule over them because they refuse to repent?
6 Swords will flash in their cities, will destroy the bars of their gates and put an end to their plans.
7 My people are determined to turn from me. Even if they call to the Most High, he will by no means exalt them.
8 "How can I give you up, Ephraim [America]? How can I hand you over, Israel [United States]? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused.

Hosea 11: 1-9 (NIV)

I took the liberty of adding [America], the gender [her], [our enemy the devil], and the [United States], in the recording of Hosea 11: 1-9 above. I did this to make a point. My point is that the bible is effective in teaching us today using principles that were recorded in Old Testament times. By looking back, often we can see areas of trouble here in the present.

Are the verses above not just the very picture on how America looks today? Haven’t we pushed God out of almost everything? As a country we continue to remove God from our schools, our justice system, our homes, our cities and our everyday lives.

Given this fact, is there any wonder that God is allowing our economy to suffer, many natural disasters to hit our land and take lives, and to top if off we are living with great concern for the direction of the upcoming elections and what changes could be forthcoming.

As I have been reflecting upon the elections, our economy and the lack of preservation of Christian values and guidance in our land, I am convinced that Christians everywhere should begin to fervently pray for this election and America as a whole. If we do not turn back to God, and put Him back on the throne, I believe that more difficult times lie ahead.

Won’t you join me in prayer for America? I have set aside the time of 12:00 noon to pray until the end of the election. I have programmed a reminder to pop-up on my computer to keep me accountable.

REMEMBER:

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joanie
I have to admit I feel so fearful for us all. Living in CA we are now fighting to keep marriage between a man and a woman to overturn what our government here says is A.O.K. that same sex marriage is just fine! I feel so sad as I feel our Lord must cry often, sadness that we all look away from him, not only in this matter, but in so many others. I too am fearful for our upcoming election. Where are we all headed? This I find to be very troublesome indeed. Christians are being too quiet! Why are so many afraid to follow what they know in their hearts is correct? Is God's way really all that hard? I think we all need to remember this is not the life we were meant for...no we need to keep our eyes on he who has created us and follow his lead..Thank you for your blog it is so inspiring and uplifting! Hugs B'nana