Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wallpaper Woes

If you are buying, selling or contemplating ever buying or selling a home, please read this!

First, please, please, please, promise me that you will never, ever, ever put wallpaper on any wall of your home! If you MUST do so, please, please, please, promise me that you will remove said wallpaper from the wall yourself before you sell your home and paint over said wall with a very neutral color. As they say on HGTV, “That rooster wallpaper you love so much may not suit the taste of the next owner!”

Second, please, please, please, promise me that you will never, ever, ever apply popcorn paint to any ceiling in your home. If you MUST do so, please, please, please, promise me that you will scrape said popcorn from the ceiling yourself before you sell your home and then paint the ceiling without any items that will fall from said ceiling if it is brushed with a broom. Another quote from HGTV, “Popcorn ceilings are so 1980’s. Always remove before placing your home on the market to receive the best sales price.”

Okay, so you may be wondering what has triggered my begging and pleading for every homeowner in the world to do away with wallpaper and popcorn textured ceilings. One word: Remodel! The 1980’s called my house and they demanded their kitchen, dining room, and upstairs hallway back! So, for the last few weeks I have been stripping wallpaper and dealing with the little white “popcorn” balls that fall off of my ceiling’s.

And let me tell ya, the previous owners not only put up 1980’s wallpaper, they put it up over drywall that had not been primed or painted; therefore it is tearing up the wallboard in many places when I am removing it, and if that weren’t bad enough, in several areas there are two layers of the hideous stuff! Not fun ya’ll!!

Well, hopefully my saga will be coming to an end soon and our home will be 1980’s tacky wallpaper free. As for those popcorn ceilings. . .

. . . well they will remain. With the way the job was going I was afraid to scrap said popcorn down because none of the drywall was hung properly and I was worried that the tape on the joints would not hold up if I began to scrap on them. Sigh! At least they will be crisp and white for another few years. And who knows, maybe by then we will be ready to sell the house and the next owners will get to deal with them.

No comments: