Thursday, February 14, 2008

Laughing with Gabe

I have never considered myself to be a very humorous person. I tend to be more the serious quiet type. I have always admired anyone who can make others laugh, so long as it is not at the expense of someone else.

Since the adoption of my son, I have been prayerfully seeking God about my sense of humor; or better put, my lack thereof. You see, I really want to be able to laugh and have fun with my son. I don’t want to be serious all of the time. Nor, do I want to pass up any opportunity to share a giggle with him so that he feels joy in his heart.

God is amazingly providing answer to this prayer. I am finding that I am much less stressed these days, and I am even able to laugh at some things that I previously would have found no humor in.

For example, the other night I was trying to get Gabe out of the bathtub. I had allowed him to play for longer than usual, and I was ready to get him in his pajamas and off to bed. The thing I was looking forward to was having some quiet time and the opportunity to talk to my husband and watch a little TV; without interruption. I had asked Gabe twice to stand up so that I could lift him from the tub and dry him off.

On the first request my voice was soft and my tone was friendly. By the second request, the volume of the request was louder, and my tone was taking on a harsh edge. My husband was listening to this exchange from the next room. He is not one to make second requests. He believes that Gabe should comply with any requests made of him the first time.

So, my husband says, using his best ‘stern Daddy voice, “Gabe, you heard your mother. Do I need to count to three?”

To which Gabe replied, “Daddy, you be patient, okay?”

I couldn’t help myself. I started to laugh. Luckily, so did Gabe’s Daddy. There was so much wisdom and maturity in Gabe’s statement. Although, he was not moving fast enough to suit me or his Daddy, he was moving, and didn’t want to be rushed.

As I have reflected upon this event, I realize that God was giving me a gift during that every day ordinary moment in life. God spoke to my heart and asked me to slow down and treasure the many times that Gabe says or does funny things. God does not want me to rush through life being so serious that I let the little things that can bring joy to my heart pass right by without my notice. Gabe wanted to enjoy a little more time with us. God wants us to enjoy a little more time with Him.

How can I do that today?

No comments: